My question to you...

Do you think we become desensitized to the genre’s we read most often?

Here’s why I ask:
 
Although I don’t read them as often anymore, I have a not so secret love for horror and thriller books and lately I’ve been craving a read that will make me lock the doors and jump at every little noise. I’ve come across a few books where other bloggers have essentially said that they will have you scared and sucking your thumb for comfort. Naturally, I jump at the chance to read them…only to be left disappointed and definitely not frightened.

An example of this is with Ten by Gretchen McNeil. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good book and worth the read BUT, as I said in my review, it didn’t have me shaking in my boots. Maybe Ten isn’t the best example considering it’s in the young adult genre but there have also been books in the adult genre with the same outcome, a not so scared Jen.

Am I looking for advice in the wrong places? Trusting the reviews of bloggers that may not have similar reading interests after all? OR am I just desensitized after years of reading countless books with serial killers, paranormal creatures, and other big bads? I can’t help but wonder if I would have been more frightened while reading Ten, and other books, if I hadn’t read those other countless books.
 
What do you think, do we become desensitized after reading a lot of books in the same genre?



4 comments

  1. I don't think it's so much that we become desensitized as much as that the markets seem to go through phases, so when readers are on a PNR run, the books can sometimes all seem similar, to the point they eventually crave something fresh. This is why I think not sticking to only one genre is important, because then there's less chance of becoming deadened to a particular 'theme'. And it's the reason I love my NA contemporaries, because those provide the pauses between my paranormal and dystopian reads.

    Personally, I think you need to read a cool book called Caged ..... :P :P :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're right. Maybe it is about being burned out on popular themes.

      And yes, I really do need to read the cool book called Caged haha!!

      Delete
  2. This is a great topic Jen, and I've wondered this myself. For a while, I just couldn't read anymore PNR. Everything was a bust and it just didn't have the same... "feel" to it (even though they were really good books). I think my problem was I needed a break from the genre (which I did, and now I'm back to it). But I DO think you may be right about being desensitized about certain genres- especially horror. I mean, think about it: If you've read the most terrifying book ever, chances are you won't be so scared of the next book you read because it has nothing on the first one. I don't know, but I've definitely have had this problem too. My suggestion, if you're looking for ultimate horror go to the "It" Guy- Stephen King. Specifically Pet Sematary. It scared the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Sonnie! I used to read King and Koontz a LOT in high school but for some reason I haven't had the desire to read them since. Maybe I should grab a Koontz and try it.

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.