Review: The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone


The Hatching
By Ezekiel Boone
Release Date: July 5, 2016

Amazon
Goodreads

An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over a thousand years, and now on the march.
Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government "accidentally" drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As those incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.
The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.

My thoughts:

*Note: I won The Hatching from the publisher & goodreads but that in no way changes my thoughts on the book.*

"There's a reason we're afraid of spiders."

What a perfect tagline for this book. The spiders in The Hatching are fierce and I, for one, would certainly fear them.

I enjoyed reading this book but I have to admit I was expecting a bit more spider action. The action that was there didn't disappoint. I know a couple scenes will stick in my head for quite a while...like every time I sneeze.

I, also, could have done with a few less story lines. While they were interesting and did give a sense of the magnitude of the problem, it also tended to take away from the growing suspense.

Ezekiel Boone definitely has my attention and I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes the story in book 2. I'm hoping for a lot of spiderific, shiver inducing drama!

I'd also love to see The Hatching be optioned for a movie or tv mini series. You think you had the willies during Arachnophobia? The Hatching, as a movie, would make it look like child's play. It would be terrifying and I would be the first in line to see it.


3.5 of 5 - Worth the read but I was hoping for a little more action.


8 comments

  1. Spiders? And ancient evil? Sounds scary to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a scary concept! Here's hoping there isn't an ancient species of spiders waking up right now 😮

      Delete
  2. This was one of the books we picked up at BEA. It really looks interesting. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I saw tweets that the arc was going to be there.

      Delete
  3. I'm not afraid of spiders!

    I don't want a hoard of them crawling all over me though lol

    P.S. You're blogging!! *happy dance*

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm cool with spiders as long as they're not near me lol.

      *shivers* can you imagine having them all over you. No. Thanks.

      Ps, hehe. *joins happy dance*

      Delete
  4. Great review, Jen! Sounds intense! Spiders *shivers* make me super nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Berry!

      So you don't want to borrow the arc then? ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.